-->
Slideshow Image Slideshow Image Slideshow Image

Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Something for your tastebuds

Yesterday was such a beautiful day here.  I was actually out gardening with just a sweater on and I was actually hot.  Yes, this is Canada in early March and I am outside with no coat or mitts or toque and I am sweating!

After all that labouring in the garden, I decided to something quick for supper - my smokey cheddar cauliflower soup.  Now I am one who very loosely follows a recipe.  I have listed the actual recipe but put in brackets how I actually made the soup.  It does change each time :o).










Smokey Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tbs of butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 head of cauliflower loosely chopped
- 1 10 ounce can of condensed chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar

* Heat the 2 tbs of butter in a large pot until melted.  Add onion and cook until translucent (about 4 min.).  
* Add chopped cauliflower and cook about 2 minutes.  Then add the can of condensed chicken broth.  (I actually don't use the canned stuff.  I get either the chicken or vegetable powdered broth from our natural foods store to avoid the msg.  I then just run the tap until the water is hot and add about 1 1/4 cups of water to 1-2 tbs of broth and stir.  Add this mixture to your soup).
* Cover and cook cauliflower in the broth on mdm temperature for about 20 minutes or until soft.
* Meanwhile, in a bowl add flour slowly to the milk stirring the whole time.  I also cook my bacon now (in a frying pan but you could probably nuke it too) and set it aside.
* Once the cauliflower is soft, add the milk/flour mixture.  Bring to a boil and stir until the mixture thickens slightly.
* Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar. (The recipe says 2 1/2 cups but I never measure. I just break off a chunk of the block and shred it up.  I think I probably add more than 2 1/2 cups because Reilly likes his soup very cheesy).
* Pour the cauliflower cheese mixture into a blender and add your bacon (yes I realize adding the bacon diminishes the fact I don't use msg broth - but I do buy my bacon from the local butcher and it tastes so good!).
* Blend on low for about 1 minute.  Pour into bowls and garnish with yogurt or some more shredded cheese.  Serve with baguette or grilled garlic toast.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

AppStore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AppStore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

© 2010 Giraffikiki Kids. Design by Cinnamon Girl Studio